Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chasing Unicorns and Rainbows

A couple of days ago I sat in a stuffy gym to watch the elementary graduation of my niece and nephew.   Before the graduating class took their seats, they placed a colorful poster board on an easel.    The signs were a celebration of diversity- Doctor, Dentist, Singer/Actress, Green Bay Packers Cheerleader, Spy, Nascar Driver- in essence- a statement of their hopes and dreams.    A young boy then got up and talked about his elementary experience and how he hoped even as adults we have dreams.  But do we?
I find it funny that up until the day you graduate high school- and college if you go- that’s all teachers talk about.  That you are going to school so you can pursue your dreams, you can be anything you want, blah blah, blah.  And then you graduate and you are slapped in the face hard with reality.    All of a sudden you end up taking a job so you can pay the rent, your car payment and groceries.   How many people really chase their dreams?
I find myself contemplating these questions because I feel like I’m at a crossroads in my life.    I recently quit my job and my husband and I decided to put our house on the market.  Why?  Because we would like to live near a beach and see what other opportunities are out there.  Possibly chasing unicorns?  Maybe.  But why is that a bad thing? 
Most people I’ve told what I’m doing are appalled.   I think it’s because somewhere between graduating high school and officially becoming an adult, there is an underlying message that there are no more rainbows.  You go to work- whether you like it or not- and that’s it until Social Security (hopefully) starts rolling in and you can get the Senior Discount at Arby’s.  Ugh- depressing.
Now don’t get me wrong- you obviously have to be somewhat responsible and pay bills or you would be living in a cardboard box.  But, as the lavender candle states that I have sitting in my living room, “The Greatest Risk in Life is Never Taking One”…….

No comments:

Post a Comment